Karen Borga shares tips on how to get started meditating.
Let go of your resistance with meditation.
Meditation can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be. It simply takes requires your time and commitment. Nothing more.
Here are the simple steps to take:
1. Right click on this link to download the music. You can play it on your phone with headphones. I like to put it on repeat since its only 5 minutes in duration. You can start with 5 minutes and work up to 20 or 30 minutes. Don’t let this time commitment concern you. You will find more time in your day once you have practiced for a while. Not sure how that happens, but it does.
2. Choose a time and place to meditate regularly. This is the hard part. You must find a quiet place that you can go to daily. If you are in a busy house, perhaps locking yourself in the spare bathroom will work. I would meditate in the car during my lunch break.
3. Sit comfortably with your feet on planted on the ground. Rest your hands facing up on your knees. Make sure all you are comfortable. I often roll my shoulders, wrists and neck just to unwind.
4. Headphones and music on!
5. Close your eyes and take 3 deep cleansing breaths.
6. Begin to breathe in counting to 4 slowly. Breathe out slowly for 4 counts. You will find a nice rhythm with the music.
7. Each time your mind begins to wander (and it will) bring your focus back to your breath.
8. When you are done, open your eyes. It’s beneficial to record your experience at this point.
9. Feel good about yourself. You did it!
That’s it. Make the decision that you are ready (perhaps again).